|Penny Fox ||Difficulty: Hard |
Development Name: Assassin
|Type of abilities: Amplify Damage, Stun, Area of Effect, Knockback, Charges, Silence, Healing||Release Date: April 10th 2014|
As an honorary Star Scout, Penny's lifestyle was one of exploration and adventure. During her years out scout-badge-hunting among the stars on her trusty space-scooter, she saw many wonderous places and lifeforms.
One of the many hobbies that developed during these years, is the collecting and stuffing in jars of those same wonderous lifeforms and various other doodads. Cataloguing and archiving everything in neatly labeled containers for her own private collection is something Penny takes great pride in.
While adding the latest uncooperative alien lifeform to her jar collection, she contemplated the meaning of life, the universe and everything. Looking back on all those innocently staring eyes from the rows upon rows of jars, Penny realised that there was so much more a sole Star Scout could do with a butterfly net! She swore a vow on scout's honor to stuff the galaxy's evil doers into her jars, making the universe a better place for the cute and the cuddly!
Without a second thought she jumped on her scooter and set off toward the stars. It was well beyond the point of no return when she realised that her trusty yet rather dated mode of transportation might not be up to the task of traversing the universe without the not-so-annual tune-up she forgot for the fifth year in a row.
As the scooter shuddered to an embarrassing stop somewhere in the Raki system, she kept her calm and assessed the situation. A brief scan for spare parts showed a strange uncharted derilict station in the vicinity which seemed to have everything she needed to fix her broken mode of transport. Awkwardly making her way toward it using the Star Scout approved Deep-Space Breast Stroke, she found the name "Starstorm" emblazened on the hull of this grimy time-worn, and seemingly abandoned spacestation.
During her searches inside the bowels of the station, she found a mysterious robotic claw artifact. Curiosity being known to killing the inferior feline species, this confident canine locked it immediately to her wrist and was suddenly awash with power.
Unbeknownst to Penny, she had just taken the first step toward the biggest adventure of her life!
Theme song lyrics
She's an adorable scout, she is a true Awesomenaut
She is both clever and charmin', she is the darling of darlings
She is so foxy. (Lemme tell you a story 'bout this Awesomenaut)
(Foxy!) (Ha, you better listen up now!)
One day she was out of luck, she and her scooter got stuck
There was this station in space, she felt the sweat on her face
But she was still hard as nails with all her juicy details
Mmm-mmm-mmm... (and then she thought)
Instead of taking it slow, I better go with this flow
So let's climb the debris and I will let them all see
I am so foxy! Heeeeeey heeee
I am so foxy!
She's gonna make it, you cannot take it
She's gonna make you scream
If you won't give it, she's just gonna get it
In your dream!
Voice actress: Brooke Leigh "Dodger" Lawson
Play"Ooh, bring it on... or are you all too chicken?"
Play"Come on out. I don't bite..."
Play"Run away, and maybe I won't kill you!"
Play"I'm so confident, I'm not even mad..."
Play"Temper... Temper? You haven't even seen my temper yet!"
Play"Ha! You can't vex this vixen!"
Play"I got a bogey on my six..."
Play"HELP! I mean... help..."
Play"Help me out, team!"
Play"What am I doing here?"
Play"Can Somebody please go after them?"
Play - A reference to Fox McCloud, the main character in Star Fox 64. "All right guys, destroy all barriers."
Play"Hit them Hard and don't hold back!"
Play"Let's go, team!"
Play"Um well, I GUESS we should start doing something, right?"
Play"Excuse me, this guys are all over me! Somebody get rid of them!"
Play"Come to mamma!"
Play"A, ah... sensible investment."
Play"A... sensible investment."
Play"Back to the foxhole."
Play"Oh sorry to jet, but I'm in a hurry..." - A reference to Fox McCloud, the main character in Star Fox 64.
Play"And so it begins..."
Play"Cunning! Sly! Clever!"
Play"Dodge this!" - Possibly a pun with Penny's voice actress, Dodger.
Drop Pod In
Play"I am the 36th century fox."
Play"And so it begins..."
Play"Cunning! Sly! Clever!"
Play"What did I say again?" - A reference to "What Does the Fox Say?" by Ylvis.
Drop Pod In (Starstorm)
Play"I wonder what mysteries I can uncover here..."
Play"Here chicky, chicky, chicky, chicky..."
Play"Outfoxed. Oh yeah!"
Play"Wombo Combo!" - A reference to Super Smash Bros. Melee's infamous tournament moment.
Play"A fox among hounds..."
Play"I really am a quote-unquote 'fantastic fox'." - A reference to Fantastic Mr. Fox.
Using Energy Pulse
Killing Ted McPain
Play"We meet again..."
Killing Sentry X-58
Play"I'm shutting you down, Sentry!"
Play"Ooh, come to mamma!"
Nauts In-Game Look
A stranger arrives on horseback at the border town of San Soleres, at the outskirts of the Raki star system. She is taciturn, watchful, and incredibly fast and accurate with her gun, able to outdraw and kill four bandits, out for blood and a quick solar buck, with startling ease. The innkeeper, Silvanito, asks the Stranger to stay in town, offer protection, become the Sherriff. The Stranger politely declines: "I can never call any town home. I'm a drifter, a lone gunfighter. A desperado." - Official Steam Store Description.
This skin gives Penny cowboy clothes, with a poncho and a cowboy hat with a bullet hole. She also has a scar on one of her eyes and is missing a piece of her ear. Her claw glove is replaced by a metallic claw hand, Pounce's flaming fox image is wearing a handkerchief and also has a scarred eye and Energy Pulse becomes similar to a bullet.
Her wrist-mounted gun is replaced by a magnum revolver which she uses to shoot bullet-shaped energy shots.
2, 4, 6, 8
Who do we appreciate?
Say it Loud!
Say it proud!
Goooo Awesomenauts! - Official Steam Store Description
This skin gives Penny a cheerleader attire, complete with a miniskirt, a crop top, tennis shoes. She also has a teddy bear, ponytail and a bow on her hair. Her claw glove is replaced by a pon pon, Pounce's flaming fox image wears a football helmet and leaves a flower trail behind her and Energy Pulse looks similar to a pon pon and also leaves a flower trail as it moves.
Her wrist-mounted gun is replaced by a ribbon which she uses to shoot flowers.
- Penny Fox was the 4th 'naut announced for the Awesomenauts: Starstorm Expansion as the $290,000 stretch goal of Ronimo Games' kickstarter project.
- Penny Fox has a number 17 on her clothes. This is a reference to her being the 17th 'naut to be released.
- Prior to her official name reveal on the 14 of March 2014, Penny Fox was referred to as "Foxy" or "Foxynaut" by Ronimo members.
- Penny is also the first (and only, to date) Awesomenaut to have been revealed before having an official name.
- Ronimo considered several names (including Amelia Foxheart) before coming to a final decision. The name Penny was chosen by Fabian, who designed the 'naut in the first place.
- Penny is the first 'naut since Ayla to not have been released with a premium skin, and the only Starstorm 'naut to have non-premium skins.
- Penny Fox's theme song is sung by Brandon Delagraentiss, Ted McPain's voice actor.
- Before her release, Penny's face on her splash art was different, with her eyes giving her a much more "cute" appearance. It was later changed when Patch 2.3 launched, likely based on community feedback.
- Penny was the first Awesomenaut to be revealed via the Voltar's Vault.
- Unlike other characters, Penny's killing spree theme does not transition into the base track of the killing spree (in this case, Spanking Stars) and instead ends abruptly.
- According to an episode of The DropPod, Penny was originally going to be a robot, but was changed into a fox when they decided to ask Dodger to do the voice.
- Despite the mechanical claw being a recent addition to her attire, it is somehow emblazoned with the same glowing triangle design that is on her belt and hat.
- Penny's scientific name is Cerdocyon Stellaris. Cerdocyon means she's a carnivorous, mammalian, canine. Stellaris being a reference to Marvel's "Stellaris", a universe trotting Female of unknown species. Penny travels by space-scooter, similar to Stellaris' Skycycle, which was a part of her suit.
Extension:DynamicPageList (DPL), version 3.1.0: Warning: Skipping bad option 'Penny Fox' for parameter 'category'.
- 2013-09-24 16:02:30 Yuri
Tips & Tactics
- Charges can be gained by hitting enemies with Claw or by returning to the Shop area.
- Always keep an eye on your charge count (see below) and plan accordingly. Your skills become more powerful if you spend more charges.
- Grey Man Group Badge may give you 5 charges, but Pounce and Energy Pulse only use up to 4 of them.
- Energy Pulse can pierce through everything, terrain included.
- Both Zurian Mechanic and Grey Man Group Badge allow Penny to keep an extra charge with her, making it easier to chain more effective combos.
- Spiderbird Collector Badge and Death Lens shots can bounce off of terrain.
- Using Spiderbird Collector Badge can grant you an easier time when dealing with 'nauts that are too dangerous to engage in close combat, such as Clunk or Skølldir.
- The amplify damage effect from Energy Pulse causes targets to take extra damage from all sources, not just your attacks. Use it in conjunction with your team.
- Using Pounce towards enemies in a way that they are knocked towards the floor will greatly help Penny in keeping up with then, at the cost of less knockback.
- Combine Death Lens with Heartshaped Net for a powerful ranged damage combo. Herring Snack Badge makes this strategy even more effective.
- Wait for Penny's Energy Pulse to land on enemies, so that you may benefit from its damage amplifying effect.
- Coordinate with Penny so that when she pounces enemies into your team, you are ready to follow it up for a kill.
- If you can spare it, let Penny get creeps and droids to replenish her charges.
- You can tell if Penny has a ranged attack from Death Lens/Spiderbird Collector Badge ready: She'll be pointing her gun in her animation.
- Use crowd control effects that affect movement to counter Penny's great speed and vertical mobility.
- Be careful not to overextend against Penny and get knocked into the enemy team.
- If affected by the amplify damage from Energy Pulse it may be better to stay a safer distance from your enemies until the debuff wears off.
- The best moment to approach Penny is when she has no charges available, but beware as it is easy for her to regain them.
- If you can bait Energy Pulse, Penny will lose a large portion of her damage, the amplify debuff and most/all her charges. Take advantage of the slight firing delay and slow speed of the projectile.