|Admiral Swiggins ||Difficulty: Hard |
Development Name: Captain
|Type of abilities: Stun, Blind, Shield, Tether, Amplify Damage, Slow||Release Date: August 29th 2013|
Raised in the Swiggins Navy Family on the Kraken planet Titan, Charles Swiggins was the youngest of 30 siblings. Graduating from Wet Point with top honors, he quickly rose through the ranks to become Captain of his very first ship in the Royal Fleet. This ship was called the ‘Sweet Homboldt’.
Tasked with finding and defeating Pirates, Swiggins set out with a loyal crew on many succesful sortees. One day, the Homboldt chanced upon the massive Pirateship 'Colossus' helmed by the dreaded Captain Inkbeard!
After a furious battle, which reduced both ships to floating heaps of debris, the two captains were the only ones alive for a final showdown. Being nearly overpowered, Swiggins' grasping tentacle found a chain just below the surface of the churning water. Powered by his desperation he hurled the object at his foe. This object was Sweet Homboldts anchor! With one massive blow, Swiggins ended the biggest Pirate threat on Titan once and for all.
Now an Admiral, he has exchanged the seas for the voids of space where his fame and leadership skills have found him a contract among the Awesomenauts!
In the beginning, Swiggins was a part of the 2012 Design-Your-Naut contest, in which hundreds of character concepts were sent in, with only one making it into the game. Admiral Swiggins was initially chosen by Ronimo Games staff to be in the top 5, of which would then be voted on by the community in order to decide which of the 5 would be made. User Channfree's Admiral Swiggins was chosen.
Another contest was later made to decide how Admiral Swiggins would look. Once again, the community was able to send in their entries, showcasing many different depictions of the character. In the end, user coffeybean4 won the contest with the design seen below.
Theme song lyrics
"Down from the seas into space
Stretching his tentacles out, squirting them in your face
Swiggins is known for the phrase:
'I'll have my tea with cream, if that's okay'"
"He is our brave admiral!
Anchorsmashing squid with tentacles!
He'll bring us tea and mackerell!
You must see: his victory is natural!" (Revealed during August 10, 2013 in the APLi)
Voice actor: Clint "Myndflame" Hacklemen
Play"You made me spill my tea! This... IS UNFORGIVABLE!"
Play"I fought barnacles tougher than you!"
Play"Haha! I swabbed your deck!"
Play"Are you squidding me?"
Play"You've got to be squidding me!"
Play"I'll swab the deck with you!"
Play"What do you get when you cross a squid admiral with a very large anchor? You're about to find out!"
Play"And I thought I was spineless!"
Play"Have at you!"
Play"A battle to the depth!"
Play"Captain's Log: HELP ME!"
Play"They are going to make sushi out of me! Or is it calamari?"
Play"Show no mercy!"
Play"X marks the spot!"
Play"Full speed ahead!"
Play"Protect the tea!"
Play"All tentacles on deck!"
Play"A penny saved is a penny earned. Ooh!"
Play"More swag for Swiggins!"
Play"Six quid? But I feel fine!" - A joke about how "Six Quid" sounds similar to "Sick Squid".
Play"To the victor goes the spoils!"
Play"Woopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoopwoop!" - A reference to Futurama character, Dr. Zoidberg.
Play"Time for another cup of tea!"
Play"Sorry, tea time!" *clink clink*
Play"Oh no, I left the tea kettle on!"
Play"Admiral Swiggins at your service!"
Play"I'll swab the deck with you!"
Play"A battle to the depth!"
Drop Pod In
Play"Admiral Swiggins at your service."
Play"For queen and country!"
Play"Into the fray once more!"
Play"Let's get kraken!"
Play"Yo ho ho, and a cup of tea... of course!"
Play"I'm terribly sorry for any incovenience caused as a result of your death."
Play"Hahaha! You brought a knife to an anchor fight, lad!" - A reference to the saying, "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight."
Play"You are no match for the admiral!"
Play"I dare say, quite a spectacular show!"
Play"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll go on a fish killing spree!" - A take on a well-known proverb.
Play"The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the anchor is far mightier than the pen!" - A take on a well-known proverb.
Play"I'll drink to that!"
Play"When you're this good, it's hard to be... HOMBOLT! Hahaha!"
Play"So ends the journey of a space admiral..."
Play"You will rue the day..."
Play"Argh, blasted ruffians!"
Play"I say! Bad... sport..."
Play"'tis a glorious death..."
Play"Hmpth! What poppycock!
Using Anchor Hook
Play"Hook it up!"
Play"Hook, line and sinker!"
Play"It appears i've caught on!"
Play"You've been hooked!"
Using Drop Anchor
Play"So sorry! I believe I've become terribly attached to you!"
Play"I call it 'anchor management'!" - A pun on anger management.
Play"Do stick around, ol' chum!"
Play"Drop the anchor!"
Play"Perhaps it will be in your best interest to just stand still."
Play"Weigh the anchor!"
Abyssal Swiggins Quotes
All of the new lines added by the Abyssal Swiggins skin are a mix of Swiggins' regular lines, but reversed with a deeper voice, and actual gibberish, also deepened by voice filters.
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 01
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 02
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 03
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 04
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 05
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 06
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 07
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 08
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 09
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 10
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 11
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 12
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 13
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 14
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 15
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 16
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 17
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 18
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 19
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 20
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 21
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 22
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 23
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 24
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 25
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 26
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 27
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 28
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 29
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 30
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 31
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 32
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 33
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 34
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 35
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 36
PlayAbyssal Swiggins 37
Nauts In-Game Look
Admiral Swiggins, PHD
This DLC contains a custom skin for Admiral Swiggins in Awesomenauts, and will automatically unlock the character if you have not already done so. - Official Steam Store description.
In this skin, Swiggins is replaced by Dr. Fetus, a character from Super Meat Boy which can be seen floating inside the glass tank where Swiggins' head is normally. The tentacles are replaced by robotic limbs and the armor has a darker color scheme, a suit and a tie. The anchor is covered in bandages and the glass tank has a top hat and monocle.
T͓ͅo̞͎͍̖͖̖ ̭͈̰̩̖̮͇i̸̺̫͓̠n͟v̧͓̱̮̰̩o̲͙̫͈k̦͓͉̳͖̥e̠͕̤̭̭ ̜̜̙̖̕t͍̟̠͎̙h̟̣͈̯͙͔͠e̹͈̯̱̖̺ ̗h͈̞͓i̱̞̭̟̜̼̩v̠̠̩͍̼e̴̤͙̠̯͚-̖̱͎̰̫̯m̙i͏̰̱̭n̘̹̯̠̘̻̕d̖͇ͅ ͍̘̺r̨e̻̻p̻̩̤̙̫͡r͕͔͖͙̻͎̲͞e̞̯̟͖̟͠s̵͕e͉̤͔͈̳ͅn̙͈͚͕t͎̻̪̮̻̮ͅi͕͢ng̝̞̯̞̯̯ ̦̥̟c͔͓̘͙͎̻h̪̞̫̟̩̦̰a̲̬̯o̗̘͇͔͇͔s.̩̺̖͍̱̤
I̡͙̩n̡͍̰͔͎̺͙̤v̭̺̙͓o̩̪̠̩̪k͕͙͖̰͉i̞̲͓͟ͅn͖͇͓̟g̟̟̩̜͕͢ ̙̱͉̲͕̹̱t̗̣̯͞h͓̬̩̗̗͞e͇̰̻̰̪ ̮͕͕͔͠f̺̹͓͙͈̖̻e͚̱̹͟ͅe̱͓l̥̺͎̺̗͖ͅi͏̼͓̦ng ͙̥͇̰͚̲o̡͉͍̫̤f̵̲̥̪̭̪̻ ̜͈̣̫͓̲̰c̢͍̞̖h̹͜a̬͇̻͇̪̲ͅo̖͓͙͓̖̠̗͠ş̦̜̱̗͔.̲̰
W̞̺̖̫̗̯i͙̲̮̟t͖̣̲͕̲h̦͙̤͖ ͎͇͖̺͞o̸͔̟͍u͔̮̗̬̩͉͈t̼̜̫͟ ҉͖̞͉o͇̭͙ͅr̩̝d̶͈e͕͞r̘.͖̭͖̬͇̹̤
T̰̱̮͓̫̘̠h̞͙̞̫̦e̸̗̼̩̩͇͓̫ ̨͍̱̪̭̗̬͇Nè͚̳͎̞̬̤̟z̯̙̠̤͍͍͘ṕ̩e̪͉̞̙̺r͏d͓̖̘̰̜ͅi̼̼̝͙̤a̪̞n̗̳͚͚̘ ̭͍͎̬ͅh̫͚̺̰͕̤́i̵͔͙̙̮v̶͎͍̗e̦͢-̵̣͇m̛͕i̭͇̪͘n̻̪̲͙͓̞͢d̸͙ o̼͍̘̺f̱̜̖̬̝̞̱ ̧̳c͡h̴͍̜͉͇̠͖̰a̝̼͚͢o̢͇s̻̟̪̜̝̖̝.҉͚̺̹ͅ ̺͔̳̻̜̠S͇͔̜w̖̠̞ig̹g̟̳͈̹͢i̡n̥̼s̢̼.̜̠͓̘̫ͅ
H͉͉̜e̳̞̟͓ͅ ̨w҉̰ho͇̲̖͕ ̶̭̹W̯̫̼͎a̟͙̬̼̦͍i͚̤̦͍͍̭ͅt͈͎͇̰̮̗ͅs҉̟͕͕ ̶̬̘̫̭̫̬̗B̨̙̞̤̜͇̘e̳̞͓͕̬̰̖h͉i͔̰̭͈̠n̮̠d͖̝ ̴T̻̮̙̠̬h͖̮͉̻̯̹e͇͉̙͓͢ ̷̼͉͎̬͎̩W͈a̝͜ll̩̼.̀
This DLC contains a custom skin for Admiral Swiggins in Awesomenauts, and comes with a fully customized voice set!
If you have not already unlocked the character, this DLC will do so. - Official Steam Store description.
This skin removes Swiggins' cap and glass tank and gives him different skin color (dark green for red team, light blue for blue team). He has a glyph drawn on his forehead and red glowing eyes. The armor, anchor and claw hand have evil-looking faces on them. Anchor Hook's chain is replaced by a tentacle. Being a premium skin, it also comes with different voice acting.
Abyssal Swiggins showcase starts at 0:50, ends at 1:06.
- Admiral Swiggins was the first 'naut to be created via a community contest. He was designed by Channfree and got the most votes from the community of all the five finalist 'nauts chosen by Ronimo Games (the others being Ivan Romanov, Nodja, Jebediah Molecoon and Yowie the Yeti). Coffeybean4 won the art contest for Swiggins which went on to become the official design.
- Swiggins was the first Awesomenaut to have splash art not made by Ronimo Games.
- Swiggins' in-game sprite was meant to have an eye patch, to mirror its splash art. This was later changed because it caused animation issues, not being clear enough. Ronimo Games opted for a mechanical eye instead.
- Many of the lines spoken by Swiggins in-game were suggested to Ronimo Games by the Awesomenauts community. This trend was later followed with new 'nauts, certain premium skins and exclusive Starstorm announcers all using community-created voicelines up until Nibbs, after which Ronimo started working with a professional writer for voice lines.
- The Admiral Swiggins PHD, and Abyssal Swiggins skins are clear references to Dr. Fetus from Super Meat Boy  and the famous Lovecraftian  monster, Cthulhu , respectively.
- Swiggins' in-game sprite was secretly shown in the trailer for Gnaw's Gnabot skin. (Shown below)
- Swiggins was the first 'naut to be released with a premium skin.
- Ronimo originally wanted community member Quinn "Weazel" Chert as Swiggins' voice actor. Despite the fact that he was ultimately voiced by Clint Hacklemen (aka Myndflame). Weazel would later be chosen by Ronimo Games to be the voice actor of Skree.
- Swiggins' in-game sprite has an "M" on his armor. Possibly a reference to his voice actor: Myndflame.
- According to The Droppod #8, Swiggins' theme song was actually sung by just one person who recorded the song 15 times to make it sound like a choir.
- The name for Swiggins' anchor, Homboldt, appears to originate from the Humboldt Squid.
Extension:DynamicPageList (DPL), version 3.1.3: Warning: Skipping bad option 'Admiral Swiggins' for parameter 'category'.
- 2013-09-24 16:02:30 Yuri
Tips & Tactics
- Think twice before using Anchor Hook, as it'll put you right next to your enemy, should it connect. Watch out for enemy crowd control, take note when their abilities are on cooldown, see if your team is nearby to back you up.
- A successful Anchor Hook will generally put you in a good position to use Drop Anchor right away, but you might wanna save it for when you are sure you can garantee a kill by using it.
- While Anchor Hook can be used on terrain for a faster escape, it can be unreliable as the terrain hitbox often differ from the actual textures. Only attempt this if you are positive you'll be able to land it properly, or your escape will be delayed instead.
- Due to its considerable hitbox and range, it's generally a good idea to use Drop Anchor behind you when fleeing, as it'll usually latch on to an enemy chasing you.
- Swiggins becomes lighter and faster after dropping the anchor, allowing him a bit of extra mobility. Krill Biscuits increases this bonus even further.
- It is possible to keep your anchor in a safe place (such as the store or behind a turret) in order to keep yourself in range mode. You can recall it at any time you need it afterwards.
- Always try to touch your anchor back up after dropping it: it will allow you to recall it immediately and use your powerful Anchor Swing again. Furthermore, it enables you to use Anchor Hook if you didn't use it to initiate a fight.
- If a ranged ally ('naut or non-buzzsaw droid) is tanking a turret for you, it might be a good idea to use Drop Anchor just to enable your ranged Ink Spray to attack it without taking damage. Alternatively, with proper upgrades, the anchor itself can have a large amount of health, enabling it to briefly tank the turret shots while you attack it with Ink Shot.
- If enemies are relying on crowd control to deter you, consider purchasing Treasure Lottery Map, to more safely approach them. This is particular useful against static crowd control such as grid traps.
- Swiggins rely on teamplay to be successful, more so than the average 'naut. Try to stay close to him or encourage him to follow you.
- If Swiggins manages to trap someone with his Anchor Hook + Drop Anchor combo, help him finish the target off the best way you can.
- If it's safe to do so, protect Swiggins' anchor so he can pick it back up.
- When trapped by Drop Anchor, destroying the anchor is almost always better than staying and fighting. Specially if Swiggins has his team nearby.
- If the anchor fails to latch on to you after it hits the ground, it will not do so again. Approach it without fear.
- If you are anchored, make sure not to fall through platforms. They might hold you in the air, making you very vulnerable to all attacks. If you do happen to get in this situation, use a ranged attack or ability to take the anchor out as soon a possible and use the help command to get your allies to help you.
- Swiggins is very vulnerable to snares himself, as his only long-ranged move forces him to close the gap. Use traps like Yuri's mines or Derpl's grid traps to keep him from diving.
- Swiggins loses much of his damage potential without his anchor, if you can avoid it when thrown, you are likely to have an advantage over him.
- Crowd control immunity effects will break Drop Anchor's chaining effect immediatly.
- Destroying the anchor will no longer force Swiggins to wait 20 seconds before picking it again. However, this can prevent the instant recall if he tries to touch his anchor right after dropping it.